Tuesday, February 03, 2015

End of an era

After at least twenty years sitting on the same chair, I was persuaded to upgrade to a new one. There are several advantages of working in a factory which manufactures office chairs: 
  •  I don't have to look far to find a chair
  • There is a large selection
  • It doesn't cost anything
  • I can try a chair for a few days then swap it for another.
Whilst this 'bank manager' chair seems suitable, there are a few problems with it. I could do with some head support and the seat seems to be a bit large (I've noticed in the past half hour some mild pain from the underside of my thighs), although this may be simply part of getting used to the chair.

In some respects, finding a new chair (on which I sit for eight hours a day, four-five days a week, year in, year out) is similar to buying a new pair of shoes: one is so used to the old, flexible, pair that the new shoes will always feel stiff and uncomfortable. An office chair is more expensive than a pair of shoes (although surprisingly not that much more expensive; I think that this chair costs two to three times what my last pair of shoes cost) but of course lasts much longer.

I was told that in a few days a chair will be returning which has head support (the chair was at a customer for trial purposes), so I'll try that one out when it comes. I'm not yet convinced by this grey chair.

[SO: 3776; 3, 15, 36]

No comments: