Friday, October 10, 2014

Continuing to watch the weight

Friday morning is weighing in time. As opposed to last week, when I was surprised that my weight had dropped to 78.4kg, this morning I was pleased to see that my weight had dropped even more, down to 77.7kg. As far as I can see, there are two contributing factors:
  1. Last Friday night/Saturday was the Yom Kippur fast. We did have a meal - spaghetti and cheese - at 5pm on Friday afternoon, but this might well provide fewer calories than my normal Friday evening meal. I chose spaghetti several years ago for this meal as it breaks down slowly and provides energy for a long time. This is a tip which I picked up from basketball players. We also had something to eat after the fast - innumerable cups of tea, yoghurt and a slice of bread with tuna - but again, this is comparable to a normal weekday evening meal. In other words, I skipped breakfast and lunch that day, thus saving a large number of calories. No snacking, either.
  2. Since Wednesday, I've been at home on holiday. This means that I can get up whenever I like (and most mornings that's still 5:30am) and I don't have to be at work at 6:50am. I've been using this time to take the dog for a long walk - this morning I walked 2.63 km in just under half an hour, burning 180 kCal. When combined with my evening power walk (about 3.8km in 35 mins, around 300 kCal), this extra exercise makes a huge contribution.
I can keep up the long morning walks for another week; it will be interesting to see what happens when I return to work.



Over the past few weeks, I've been watching another excellent British tv series, titled 'Last Tango to Halifax', whose basic premise (a pair of pensioners meeting via Facebook after having been separated for sixty years) is based on the real life experience of the show's writer. Unfortunately, I missed the opening episode; there were some scenes 'from previous episodes' which filled me in on what happened, but of course, these are no replacement for the real thing. Presumably I'll catch the opening episode when the series is inevitably shown again. 

Yesterday I saw the final episode of season one; I am hoping that season two will be screened without delay. As far as I have been able to ascertain, a third season has been commissioned but has yet to be filmed.

No comments: